- Teach who and what? Teach Lao students low level English. (mostly young adults, but ages range from 15 to 55)
- Teach how much? Fifteen hours in the classroom each week (8:30-10:00 and 10:15-11:45 Mon.-Fri.) as well as appropriate preparation time.
- How many students? Enjoy small class sizes with students grouped according to ability level (anywhere from 8-20 students per class). Total English program student numbers range between 80 -130 students, depending on number of teachers and student enrollment.
- When? We need teachers for the fall term this year, September 2011. No, this is not very far off! It would be helpful to get here earlier to get acclimated and begin Lao language study.
- Bachelors degree
- ESL teaching endorsement or TESOL Certification (or equivalent – TOEFL, CELTA).
- These certifications can be attained by completing a four to six week training course.
- Teaching experience is helpful, but not required. Come with a willingness to be trained, observed and critiqued to help you become a successful English teacher.
- A two year commitment to serve in Laos at Candlelight.
- Willingness to learn Lao language and culture (if possible for 3 months intensively early on)
- Cross-cultural experience