Sunday, March 1, 2009

Travel Tale #2: Bangkok, Thailand

    Tuk-Tuk Adventure with Bob & Es!

I was able to spend a few days with my parents in Bangkok, Thailand at The Alliance Guesthome.  It was a sweet time of rest together together.  We happened to have a room right next to Dave & Nancy Farnum- the team leaders from Hanoi- who were getting medical needs cared for in Bangkok.  It was great to see them again!  I had gotten to know them a bit during my month of training in Hanoi.

I've already blogged about my own medical highlight- which took a good bit of our time in Bangkok- but well worth it as I continue to breathe perfectly!!  I also was spoiled with a visit to a hair salon there :)  

Some things I noticed in Thailand:
-the people are very laid back and friendly
-it's customary to bow when greeting or saying goodbye
-chopsticks are not as frequently used as spoons/forks
-rice is served by the waiter/waitress to each person out of a large bowl, rather than given in a bowl or on a plate like in VN
-roti (similar to crepes) are AMAZING desserts
-they drive on the left side of the road, on the right side of the car
-there were SOOOO many cars- I had a bit of culture shock as I've become accustomed to motos on the roads
-poverty was more evident than in VN (beggars on the streets)


No comments: