Sunday, June 13, 2010

Home

I must make a confession. The past few weeks I've really had a "woe-is-me" attitude regarding my housing situation. You see, before coming to Laos, I had a strong desire to "settle in" here... having moved from CO to Vietnam and back to CO before coming to Laos all in just over one year's time. I was ready to be done moving around and be in one place for a while- a place I could call home. I should have remembered some wisdom passed on to me re: expectations- LET THEM GO- because the realities of life that don't meet our expectations are often the most frustrating.

This week it hit me that I was really wallowing in my own little pity party about the fact that I have lived in four different homes with 6 + different people (and at times with no one) in less than a year.

G has been using Abraham's story to change my heart. In Heb. 11:8-10, it says that Abraham didn't know where He was going, lived in tents, but BY FAITH MADE HIS HOME. It seems that living life constantly "on the go" so to speak made him long even more for a home with foundations- whose architect is the Father Himself.

Why then have I had such a negative attitude? The Father has shown me three specific reasons that have led me to this place- my expectations not meeting reality, my failure to give thanks in all things, and my belief that I have a "right" to a stable place to call home.

In coming to earth, J gave up so many rights as G... including His "right" to have a place to lay his head. He left His heavenly home. And if the Son of G gave up his rights, why do I believe I have "rights"?? Anything I have is a gift from the Father- nothing I have is something I have a right to or deserve in any way! So as He convicted me about this and has been changing my heart attitude, He's shown me so many things to be thankful for:

- He has provided for me: I have never been without a good bed to sleep in, a roof over my head, and a fan or air-con! And none of my housing situations have been a stress on the budget.
- He has protected me: I have never had issues with safety (no thieves or break-ins).
- He has given me many new friends in different roommates and blessed me through each of them in different ways.
- He understands b/c He experienced life on earth, and left His "home" in heaven
- He has given me a renewed desire for my future home with foundations!
- He has taught me in a deep sense that He truly is all I need, and that He is always with me.
- He has given me the opportunity to sort through my stuff several times so as not to collect too much stuff- making quick moves possible :)
- He has taught me invaluable lessons about "home" and "rights" and "expectations"! Most of all, that home is something you make by faith. Apart from Him, we will never feel at home.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Atleast you don't have to live with that devil cat again! haha. Loved the post.

Maren said...

True sister! Lose the expectations...learning to do this as well. I am looking for housing to move in the next 2 months. :)

Allison said...

Thanks for sharing Suzy! This is exactly what I needed to hear right now too.