Sunday, June 27, 2010

Lil' Sis

This is my "Nong Sao" (Little Sister) Kip. We bonded pretty quickly when I lived with her family for six weeks right after arriving in Laos. She'd never had an older sister and followed me around curious about this random foreigner in her house. She also was patient to try to communicate through gestures and very few words!

Since I've moved out, I've tried to visit my Lao family at least once a week. When I visit, I try to do something special for Kip- such as bring her a small gift (like nail polish or candy), bring something fun to do (like a game to play or book to read), or take her somewhere (such as the special "blow up slide" or the swimming pool). It's so fun to see her excited about these things, and I love spoiling her.

However, I have been trying to be careful not to simply become this person who gives her things. I want Kip to know that I care about her and want to spend time with her. Lately, I've found myself frustrated when she isn't satisfied with whatever I give her... for example- taking the time (and sweat) to make cookies and then have her ask for candy which is way cheaper and easier :) Or to have her run up to me at fellowship and instead of giving me a hug, she'll ask for money to buy some ice cream. I want her to love me as her older sister; I don't want her to just love the gifts I give her.

And then I realized this feeling must be in some way similar to a parent's heart, or our Father's heart. How must He feel when we don't enjoy His gifts, or wish for things other than what He's given? Or even worse, what do we do to His heart when we come to Him and ask Him for things, and don't even take the time to be with Him and enjoy His presence and offer love in worship?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is very thought provoking Suz...thanks. Lifting you up in this new term sweet girl. You can do it!
love you tons,
momma